What We Believe?
COMPASS Statement of Faith
We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
As adopted by the National Association of Evangelicals.
Things We Believe
1) Confession – this is essential in the process of truly repenting from our sins. Otherwise, we do not have a full awareness of what we are repenting from. Verbal and complete confession to someone we trust is necessary. Finding encouragement from others helps frees us from guilt and shame that accompanies sin.
2) Identity – it is important for us to understand who we are. Are we an addict, or a child of God? COMPASS emphasizes “child of God, brother of Christ.” We will eventually behave in a way that is consistent with who we believe ourselves to be.
3) Gender – We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female.1
4) Thought – This is the most fundamental change necessary. Being inwardly transformed by the renewal of our mind is the only sure path to outward change. Every episode of sexual wrong begins with a thought. Thus, Long term sobriety is achieved only through the discipline of the mind.
5) Sobriety – We believe in zero tolerance. That is, sex with our self or anyone other than our wife is a break in sexual sobriety. True sobriety also involves progressive victory over lust.
6) Group – A fellowship of brothers is helpful to newcomers and old-timers alike. Those who are new can observe those who have a long practice of sexual sobriety. Those who have a longer recovery are reminded of the pain and destruction that is seen in the life of the newcomer. This shared fellowship fosters strength and encouragement, and is empowered by prayer for one another.
7) Support – Like a 3 legged stool, we encourage the involvement of a man’s pastor, counselor, and friends. Each has an important role to play in recovery.
8) Grace & Truth – Jesus was described as being “full of grace and truth.” The COMPASS fellowship seeks to practice both of these aspects of Jesus’s nature to the fullest extent possible. We try to embody Jesus Christ to one another, not compromising either truth or grace.
*As adopted by Samaritan’s Purse, Boone, NC USA
COMPASS Purpose and Vision
Purpose – To provide a ministry resource that encourages sexual purity to the men of local Churches and their communities. We assist men in living out the good plan of God for their lives through a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, a fuller understanding of the Bible, and a covenant fellowship of brothers that offers confidential accountability.
Vision – We envision a fellowship of men who confess their sexual sin and struggles, turn progressively away from them in repentance, and depend on Jesus Christ for transformation and power, to live godly, productive lives, and experience healthy relationships.